As Bon Scott famously sung, it’s a long way to the top if you want a sausage roll*. This High Voltage sausage roll recipe is so tasty you’ll be riding the Rock ‘n (sausage) Roll Train in no time and leaving friends and family Thunderstruck. Really can’t think of anything more Aussie, can you?
*May or may not be the original lyrics.
500g sausage mince
1 x egg
2 x tablespoons tomato sauce
1 x small brown onion, finely chopped
1 x medium carrot, peeled and grated
3 x sheets of frozen puff pasty, partially thawed
Milk for wash, optional
Sesame seeds, optional
1. Preheat oven to 200C/ 395F. Line two trays with baking paper.
2. Combine mince, egg, tomato sauce, onion and carrot in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Cut each pastry sheet in half. Shape 1/2 cup mince mixture into a sausage shape, and place along the long edge of 1 pastry half. Roll up pastry to enclose filling, using your fingertips to pinch and seal. Cut into six equal portions, and place seam side down on the prepared baking tray. Repeat with the remaining mince mixture and pastry.
4. If desired, brush the tops and sides of each sausage roll with a little milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
5. Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
This recipe is so versatile, feel free to add any additional vegetables, herbs or spices to the mince mixture. If you do not have access to sausage mince you can also make this with your choice of regular mince.